ICU - Intercultural Competences for You
Intercultural Competence: Behavioural Flexiblity
For the ICU-Project we started creating a table game to improve our behaviour in different situations.
Explanation of the name: We mixed the German and the Italian words for behavior which are “verhalten” and “comportamento”.
Materials: There are 10 cards showing different activities and six empty cards to add more activities.
Instructions: The game is played in groups. The players are split in groups of the same nationality. Each group has to take a card. The first group has to act the activity. The other group has to observe, think about what they would have done differently and then discuss together (i.e.: Do you think you would be able to adapt or do the same? What could be the most difficult situation for you?...).
After that you swap the roles.
Activities: 1. Ordering in a restaurant (i.e.: How do you call the waiter?...)
2. Laying the table (i.e.: Do you use the tablecloth? Or the napkins?...)
3. Answering the phone (i.e.: do you say your name? Or just “hello”?....)
4. Conflicts (i.e.: Are you used to shout to each other?, Do you beat up?...)
5. Acquaintance meeting (i.e.: Are you used to kiss the other?, Do you usually greet?... )
6. Timetables (i.e.: What time do you have breakfast/luch/dinner?...)
7. Eating meals (i.e.: Do you usually eat alone?, Or with your family?...)
8. Going to a party (i.e.: Do you usually dance?, Or you just sit down?...)
9. Having a conversation (i.e.: What is the level of your voice? Do you move your hands?...)
10. Having breakfast (i.e.: Do you usually have a salty or sweet breakfast?....)